RE: Brute force VNC crack

From: Walden H. Leverich ()
Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 09:28:38 EDT

    Ken,

    I'm not sure changing the encryption key would prevent brute-force attempts.
    Think of it this way:

    Using the "modified" version of VNC I tell VNC that my password is 'george'
    and this gets encrypted to 'gracie' (I know it would be a mess of hex, but
    this is easier) Your argument says that when I attempt to encrypt 'george'
    on the standard VNC viewer I won't get 'gracie' and as such I won't be able
    to issue the correct response to the challenge, and you are correct.
    However, this is a brute force attempt and at some point I am going to
    encrypt 'oldtimer' and that will be encrypted to 'gracie' and then I will be
    able to answer the server's challenge.

    Now I think your password is 'oldtimer' and your password is 'george' but it
    doesn't really matter because I have access to your machine anyway.

    -Walden