RE: Brute force VNC crack

Date: Thu Aug 17 2000 - 08:23:27 EDT

    I must confess that I caught this thread in the middle ;)

    My point was only that we have develloped a small program to remotely update
    the passwords on our 370 servers.

    This is to prevent local 'admins' to get control on the machine.

    For that purpose, we went to the source code to see how VNC encrypts the
    passwd, which btw is rather weaksince it only uses 8 characters, to create
    then a small program that remotely injects our supplied password in the
    destination Server.

    To summarize:

            Of course that we have administration rights on the remote machines!
            we donot care if the local admin is able to change the VNC passwd!
            Because we can always change it back!

            I think that that is your issue... cracking machines in which you
    don't have access...

    Cheers!