Re: VNC problems (win95-UNIX)

James [Wez] Weatherall ()
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 11:00:47 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Jukka Marin wrote:

> 1. When a VNC window is revealed from beneath some other windows, the VNC
> window contents aren't always redrawn - the window is empty. When I move
> the mouse over the window, it "paints" blocks of the picture, but still
> the other parts aren't refreshed, no matter how long I wait.

Clicking on the title bar of the window usually fixes this. Whether or
not windows exhibit this problem tends to depend on how they update their
display - if they don't use Windows messages then WinVNC can't catch the
updates. There are also some special "kludge" options in teh VNCHooks
section of teh registry, to help get round such apps.

> 2. When running Netscape or Explorer on '95, the browser area of the window
> shows in black and white, although all buttons in all win95 windows are
> in full color and look OK. Some other programs that I have do not have
> this problem. It's quite impossible to use the browsers because most WWW
> pages don't really work in b&w...

Thsi bug has now been fixed in the up-and-coming revision of WinVNC.

> 3. VNC could be faster. Is there any hope that it will become faster in
> the future? Please? :-)

It's hard to say. That depends on whether it becomes easier to trap
screen updates in future versions of Windows and on whether the
algorithms/encodings used by the VNC system improve.

> I'm running VNC 3.3.2, my NetBSD box has a 16-bit display and the 95 machines
> are using 8-bit displays.
>
> Any ideas or solutions to my problems?

Until the next release, using non-8bit displays on the Windows boxes will
fix the colour problem.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall

--