Re: VNC problems (win95-UNIX)

Jukka Marin ()
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:36:50 +0300

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 11:00:47AM +0100, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
> > 1. When a VNC window is revealed from beneath some other windows, the VNC
> > window contents aren't always redrawn - the window is empty. When I move
> > the mouse over the window, it "paints" blocks of the picture, but still
> > the other parts aren't refreshed, no matter how long I wait.
>
> Clicking on the title bar of the window usually fixes this. Whether or
> not windows exhibit this problem tends to depend on how they update their
> display - if they don't use Windows messages then WinVNC can't catch the
> updates.

Umm, I didn't mean that VNC missed Win95 application updates.. I mean that
when I cover a part of the VNC window in X with, say, an xterm window, and
then click the xterm behind the VNC window, the part of the VNC window that
was covered by the xterm window remains grey. VNC knows what should be in
there (so it's not a problem with the win95 applications), but it doesn't
know that a part of the VNC window in X has been erased and should be
refreshed. VNC usually refreshes the whole VNC window contents when I first
click the VNC window back, then bring it in front of other windows again..
but I'd like it to refresh the window when I partly reveal the VNC window
from behind of other windows, too. Sorry for the bad explanation.. it's
because of a language barrier.. :)

> > 2. When running Netscape or Explorer on '95, the browser area of the window
> > shows in black and white, although all buttons in all win95 windows are

> Thsi bug has now been fixed in the up-and-coming revision of WinVNC.

Good :)

> It's hard to say. That depends on whether it becomes easier to trap
> screen updates in future versions of Windows and on whether the
> algorithms/encodings used by the VNC system improve.

Good luck! VNC is pretty nice already.

Thanks for the reply,

  -jm