RE: VNC quite slow ...

From: James Gray (james_gray@open-channels.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 18:25:41 EDT

    Better still, use a command line FTP transfer and it will tell you the
    transfer time and average transfer speed. The basic question remains
    though; is this a performance issue on one of the machines (server and/or
    client) or is it a network issue (bandwidth/routing etc).

    Let's assume this is a system performance issue. From the original post in
    this thread, it seems the Linux machine is the VNC-server and is being
    connected to by the Wintel box. In my experience, if you are already
    running an X server on the Linux end and then start Xvnc (the VNC server)
    the RAM available falls through the floor - but that was only on 128Mb RAM
    on Linux. However, when I kicked XFree86 out of the equation it was quite a
    lot faster.

    If on the other hand this is a network issue, there are a few things you can
    to try and isolate the performance problem. Try a ping to the opposite
    machine and see if the times are sub 10ms (for a LAN, even through
    routers/firewalls this is pretty standard ping times). Do a traceroute
    (from Linux) an a tracert from NT to the opposite machine - make sure it
    isn't routing via the Internet or any other networks, it should be as direct
    as possible in a well configured network. If you think you've found a
    network problem have a chat with network engineering/network admin and see
    if they can solve the prob for you.

    Good Luck,

    James