Re: Win16 app fails to receive keystrokes and mouse clicks via vnc

From: Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe ()
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 14:41:12 EDT

    "Robinson, Neil" <> wrote:

    > Thanks to the help I received here I resolved the problem on NT (by setting
    > the use_KeyPress and use_Deferral settings to 0 for ntvdm.exe).
    > Unfortunately, the same problem exists on Windows 95 and 98. I have tried
    > the same tactic (although I had to add the SB30.EXE key myself, whereas the
    > NTVDM.EXE key was already there) but unfortunately, this did not resolve the
    > problem on the 9.x platforms. Anyone have any other suggestions?

    Download the grreat free utility PrcView (80 KB) from
    =
    On your server, start you Win16 app through VNC in "real conditions"
    then run PrcView and use the "Process tree" tool: it'll show you running
    processes and which one has run or is embedding which other one.

    It works really well: on my comp, if I've started my mailer directly, it
    is shown as a direct child of explorer.exe -- but if I've started it
    from double-clicking WinBiff, then it is shown as a child of
    WinBiff.exe, itself a child of explorer.exe

    For MS-DOS programs on Win95, the process tree shows they are actually
    anonymously embedded in a dedicated "WinOldAp" process, and then the
    process list shows that this is really "WINOA386.MOD" -- so this is the
    name you would have to set for tweaking VNC hooks in case your app would
    be embedded in that too.

    Note that all DOS programs shows up as "WinOldAp", so the trick in
    PrcView is to open the "Show apps" tool, select an app, and you'll see
    the exact corresponding WinOldAp process highlighted in the process view
    windows.

    Else, if your Win16 app is a mere child of explorer.exe, you may try to
    set your hook tweaks for the whole explorer.exe and see if...

    --
    JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34

    Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!