Re: WinVNC and Java

From: Herbert Morales ()
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 04:54:53 EDT

    Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe wrote:

    > Herbert Morales <> wrote:
    > >
    > [ 8< About setting the Java viewer's files on a custom webserver ]
    > >
    > > Jean: I tried, but dont succes.
    >
    > You must have forgotten some files or something, it's something that
    > works. I've put online a reader-enabled summary of my notes about
    > VNC/Java/etc. at:
    >

    > The way to do that is in point #1...
    >
    > > So I did a trick: In a Visual Basic programm I have a timer of 10
    > > minutes interval and it executes the folowing cmd-file:
    > >
    > > @echo off
    > > cd \Program Files\ORL\Vnc
    > > winvnc.exe -kill
    > > net start winvnc > nul
    >
    > VB? You could do it simply using the SLEEP.EXE utility from NTRK
    > :Disconnect
    > <your stuff>
    > SLEEP 600
    > GOTO Disconnect
    > or, similarly, using SOON.EXE at the end of the batch so that it always
    > schedules itself for being executed again N seconds in the future.
    >
    > > Ok, the connection is interruped by a short time and the user have to
    > > reload the brower again.
    >
    > The annoying thing here is that vnc is restarted independantly of the
    > user's session: one could connect in the applet and then be possibly
    > forcefully disconnected just a few seconds later -- it is not a
    > "disconnection after N minutes of use".
    >
    > OTOH, the good point is that it's not possible to cheat, if those
    > repeated disconnections are important for you. Using a browser-driven
    > META-refresh scheme, it's always possible for someone really wanting it
    > to avoid being disconnected...
    >
    > > Curiosly: The sys tray icon disappar, but VNC works fine again.
    >
    > That's nothing curious: after restarting WinVNC service on NT you have
    > to rerun the Service Helper, i.e.:
    > winvnc.exe -servicehelper
    > so as to make trayicon come back. More importantly, while you don't do
    > that, WinVNC will use your "Default settings" (especially the password)
    > instead of "User settings".
    >
    > --
    > JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34
    >
    > Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!
    > See also:

    I read your java.txt and now it works with copying all class and jar files.

    The reason I use the batch is to hard disconnect the user. I thing, the
    applet takes a lot of CPU-time on the server side. Do you think this is
    correct? What happens if a client only close the browser window and don't
    use the disconnect field of the applet? It is still connected to the
    server?

    Herbert