Re: Development (was Re: LOGGING!!)

From: W. Brian Blevins ()
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 13:15:46 EDT

    Daniel,

    > I can handle the programming, it's getting a more organised
    > development that I want help with. A CVS tree?

    There is a CVS tree for VNC running on our developer web
    site:

    Full instructions for accessing the CVS tree are available
    there. We are running a separate developer's email list
    as well.

    Tridia is working on integrating a large number of enhancements
    into a central tree. Our current focus is maintaining compatibility
    with the RFB 003.003 protocol. This is why we implemented zlib
    compression as a new encoding.

    > > And yes, I think the forking process of
    > > VNC is getting more than a touch out of hand - I can count at least half a
    > > dozen WinVNC's and three Xvnc's, all based directly on the AT&T source.
    > > Someone really needs to get their head down and integrate all the features
    > > into one version for each platform, espeically if it isn't going to be much
    > > bigger than the 'standard' version.

    Exactly, enhancements such as the iXvnc (inetd) update only minimally
    impact the executable size but provide a significant functional benefit.

    > OK, I'll mail you and fill you in on why it'd be useful for me,
    > and why there could possibly be funding for it.

    Are you interested in doing the development or having it done
    by someone else? Tridia provides consulting services related
    to VNC/RFB:

    http://www.tridiavnc.com/

    --
    Brian