Re: Mac OS difficulties - options

From: Jonathan Morton ()
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 13:09:55 EDT

    > I have (attempted?) installed the server software and the viewer
    > software on my two macs currently connected to one another. The
    > server software on a Performa 6400, 16 MB, OS 8.1 system, and the
    > viewer software on a Powerbook G3 128 MB OS 9.0 system.
    >
    > Neither appears to work. I have read the faq and have not obtained
    > any help on the particular problems.
    >
    > The network is connected (running Softrouter) and have communicated
    > back and forth. Installing Timbuktu demo obtained splendid results.
    >
    > Am pursuing this both for my own home network and an article I am
    > writing for solo practitioners and small firms who wish to maintain a
    > small network.
    >
    > When running Viewer, window appears asking for connection. I assume
    > from what I read that I would put "Lyceum:5800" where lyceum is the
    > name of the server computer (and that Timbuktu is able to connect
    > with).
    >
    > PROBLEM 1: When I click "Show Options", what I believe to be the
    > option screen appears for a split second and then the screen and the
    > window box for the connection disappear altogether.
    >
    > PROBLEM 2: From the server side, I get strange dialog box when I
    > choose options that only has "^0" contained within.
    >
    > Under either scenario, the computer does not crash. However, I simply
    > can't proceed. Could someone please assist me in working through the
    > problems and errors that I have undoubtedly made?

    Doesn't sound like you did much wrong. The AT&T software just doesn't seem
    to work on many configurations. Go to
    for a working server, and look down the Contributions page for "MacOS
    (alternative)" viewer, done by Purple Shark. I am also in the process of
    writing a new Server based on the more vital snippets of an old AT&T
    server, and may progress to a new Viewer too.

    from: Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
    mail: (not for attachments)
    uni-mail:

    Get VNC Server for Macintosh from