Mac OS difficulties - options

Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 12:37:28 EDT

         I have (attempted?) installed the server software and the viewer
         software on my two macs currently connected to one another. The
         server software on a Performa 6400, 16 MB, OS 8.1 system, and the
         viewer software on a Powerbook G3 128 MB OS 9.0 system.

         Neither appears to work. I have read the faq and have not obtained
         any help on the particular problems.

         The network is connected (running Softrouter) and have communicated
         back and forth. Installing Timbuktu demo obtained splendid results.

         Am pursuing this both for my own home network and an article I am
         writing for solo practitioners and small firms who wish to maintain a
         small network.

         When running Viewer, window appears asking for connection. I assume
         from what I read that I would put "Lyceum:5800" where lyceum is the
         name of the server computer (and that Timbuktu is able to connect
         with).

         PROBLEM 1: When I click "Show Options", what I believe to be the
         option screen appears for a split second and then the screen and the
         window box for the connection disappear altogether.

         PROBLEM 2: From the server side, I get strange dialog box when I
         choose options that only has "^0" contained within.

         Under either scenario, the computer does not crash. However, I simply
         can't proceed. Could someone please assist me in working through the
         problems and errors that I have undoubtedly made?

         Thank you

         Charles