Re: ISDN

From: Jonathan Morton ()
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 08:42:18 EDT

    >I have been using VNC 3.3.3r1 (on Solaris) over our in-house network for
    >several
    >weeks now and found it to be a very good tool. A colleague now wants to use it
    >over an ISDN (64 kbit) line and we are concerned that the low connection speed
    >will make VNC unusable in its 'out of the box' configuration.
    >I have searched the archives of this list - some people say ISDN lines are
    >enough while others disagree.
    >What is the truth ?
    >Please can anyone advise me on the best configuration options (I have wondered
    >about -8bit and -deferupdate)

    ISDN should be enough, provided you take some basic speed-enhancement
    precautions. First, turn off the desktop background/pattern and set your
    desktop size/depth to be not-so-large (8-bit is a good idea). Second, make
    sure you have left Hextile, CopyRect and CoRRE switched on. Thirdly, don't
    expect it to be blazingly fast - be prepared to wait a second or two for
    everything to catch up. VNC works surprisingly well over low-bandwidth
    connections, I've successfully used it over a 14.4k modem across the
    Atlantic and America. Experiment with the options until you find the best
    ones for you and your connection.

    from: Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
    mail: (not for attachments)
    uni-mail: