Re: VNC and Windows 95

From: Jonathan Morton ()
Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 08:35:54 EDT

    >I'm not sure of the inner workings of VNC nor am I a Win95 programming
    >genius but I assume VNC is a 32-bit app which must be run in protected mode
    >for Win95.

    Yup, most likely.

    >This is what it means to me (of course, I could be very mistaken, as
    >usual). If VNC is a 32-bit protected mode app, it cannot be loaded until
    >the processor is switched to protected mode and the protected mode portion
    >of the operating system is loaded regardless if it is a service or started
    >from the command shell or startup folder.

    Yes, but I don't see any reason why "services" should be loaded before this
    has happened. After all, most "services" would be 32-bit protected-mode in
    any case. Stuff in the Startup folder certainly isn't loaded until Windows
    has fully started.

    >So what is the fix? As far as I can tell, you would have to load a
    >real-mode stack and any other required components in AUTOEXEC.BAT so that
    >they start on initial bootup. Then I'm guessing VNC should be able to see
    >the login screen.

    I wasn't aware that it wasn't seeing it (Windoze is definitely not my
    primary OS, and this is the first mention of the problem I remember
    seeing). I'll try it on my own installation - Win95 OSR2, under the
    Virtual PC emulator.

    from: Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
    mail: (not for attachments)
    uni-mail: