Re: Still can't change the IP port in WinVNC

From: Matthias.Buecher@aral.de
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 04:56:27 EDT

    Hello Victor,

    you were NOT fooled, it is really in the FAQ and docs and you already found
    the right registry key in the FAQ: "PortNumber".

    This key is NOT generated by default.
    Call the VNC settings through the VNC start menu, disable the Auto function
    for the Display number and enter any dummy Display number (e.g. 1).
    If you check the registry again then "PortNumber" will be there.

    On the other hand you can create the setting yourself, "PortNumber" is a
    DWORD and contains the real IP Port for the RFB protocol, which is
    determined through the stated Display number (5900 + Display = RFB IP Port
    and 5800 + Display = HTTP IP Port).

    For example if you need the RFB protocol on Port 4000 you need to use
    Display number -1900 which is 0xFFFFF894 hex and 4294965396 unsigned
    decimal.
    It's a very annoying way to set the ports below 5900/5800 through the VNC
    settings, fortunately most VNC viewers understand those negative Display
    numbers.

    It's easier to set the wanted RFB Port through the registry, as you can
    directly enter the wanted IP Port (e.g. 0x00000FA0 for 4000).
    Then you can also get the unsigned decimal Display number through the VNC
    settings.

    Remember:
    - the HTTP Port for the Java Viewer is always 100 Ports lower than the RFB
    Port
    - VNC operates *ONLY* over the RFB Protocol and Port
    - the HTTP Port only uploads the Java Applet which then connects through
    the RFB Protocol and Port

    Regards and good luck
    Matthias "Maddes" Buecher