Re: Still can't change the IP port in WinVNC

From: James ''Wez'' Weatherall (jnw22@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 05:10:24 EDT

    > thanks, but the info you supplied didn't help me. First, the items in the
    > docs you pointed out refer to Display Port, not IP port. There are
    mentions
    > of ports 5800 and 5900 but not how to change them. Second, there is no
    > registry entry called PortNumber. I searched the registries of 3
    computers
    > on which I had installed VNC. AutoPortNumber exists, but once again
    refers
    > to Display Port, not IP.
    >
    > Has anyone on the list actually changed the IP port in the Windows version
    > VNC? I posted a question here and each person who responded (thanks all)
    > pointed me to the docs and FAQ (which don't actually contain the needed
    > info) or had some thoughts but weren't sure. I chased down the
    suggestions
    > from the aforementioned respondents, to no avail. I'd really appreciate
    > someone's help who's done it themselves. Thanks in advance... -=Victor=-

    The docs do indeed contain the relevant information. You need to disable
    automatic port selection, via the AutoPortSelect key or the Properties
    dialog, then change the PortNumber key to the value you want. If the key
    isn't there already and you aren't happy creating it yourself, just run
    WinVNC with AutoPortSelect off and when it quits it will create one.

    Remember that the port number you select is directly linked to the "display
    number" the server claims to run as, so that port 5900 is display 0, port
    5901 is display 1, etc.

    James "Wez" Weatherall