killing vncserver on linux box

From: robert_wilhelm_land (robert_wilhelm_land@csi.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 10:24:59 EDT

    vncWinclient and vncLinuxserver work quite nicely, there's
    only one main problem and maybe one other problem related to
    the first one.

    I cannot kill a vncserver session on the linuxbox.
    The html help recommends to use:
    vncserver -kill :<session>

    Instead a new session is created with a instance number one
    greater than the current instance. I first thought that any
    option after "vncserver" would be ignored, but
    "vncserver -help"
    "vncserver :6"
    are well recognized and executed as they should. ( within
    the vncWinviewer aswell as in a xTerm on the X11 desktop on
    the Linuxbox)

    Would someone kindly help?

    I'm using 3.3.2.11 (viewerW32) and vnc-3.3.1-2 (server linux
    2.0.35).

    Searching the maillist database didn't help. There is a
    message with a simular problem - the person was instructed
    to delete his /vnc/X.log and a .pid file (didn't find this
    one on my system) but this cannot be the solution since
    every new server instance writes into the same .X.log which
    is helpful in case of difficulties. No idea why to delete
    this file first and then to kill a server instance.

    Robert