Re: Release of new ``tight'' encoding available.

From: W. Brian Blevins (brian@tridia.com)
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 08:19:19 EDT

    Const,

    Const Kaplinsky wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm glad to announce that I've finished main part of my VNC
    > compression project. All the source code and some comparison results
    > are available from the project homepage:
    >
    > http://www.ce.cctpu.edu.ru/vnc/

    Great to see you are making good progress on your project. The
    initial numbers look interesting. What applications are you
    primarily testing against? We have found that results vary
    considerably among desktop/window managers and various
    applications. Often the specific environment in use brings out
    the strengths/weaknesses of any given approach/encoding.

    > Unix code is currently based on the AT&T's vnc-3.3.3p1 Unix source
    > distribution, Windows part is based on the TridiaVNC Windows source.
    > Primary development platform was Linux, so the Unix code is much
    > better tested compared to Windows part.
    >
    > New ``tight'' encoding usually achieves compression ratios 5..30%
    > higher compared to pure zlib compression (as implemented in the
    > TridiaVNC distributions) and it seems to be a little faster than zlib
    > at both server and client sides in most cases. I plan to continue the
    > work on this encoding and I believe I'm able to improve both
    > compression ratios and encoder/decoder speed much further (while new
    > releases will remain compatible with current version).

    What encoding number did you use? We would like to avoid using the
    same value in the future. Here is a list of the values in use that
    I know of:

    RFB Encodings
    Value Description
    0 Raw
    1 CopyRect
    2 RRE (Rise and Run length)
    3 <unknown>
    4 CoRRE (Compressed RRE)
    5 Hextile
    6 Zlib (over raw)

    What values are missing from this list? I would like to hear
    about any other values in use. For one thing, I would really
    like to update our source code to at least have all the values
    declared in it (some implementations would be nice too). That
    way, we can avoid conflicts with other developers.

    --
    Brian