The big grey screen of nothingness

From: Lewis Bergman (lbergman@abi.tconline.net)
Date: 2024 - 11:57:29 EDT

    Hello fellow vnc enthusiasts,

    I have what seems to me to be a strange problem.

    I have been using vnc for about three months without problems.
    Suddenly, one of my servers pops up with the common big grey screen that
    results from some .Xauthority problem. vncserver is owned and run by root.
    Killed and restarted with same result. I won't bother changing hostnames or IP's since it would take about two minutes
    to find that out anyway.
    The log file indicates Xlib as follows:

    AUDIT: Tue Aug 22 09:54:46 2000: 24041 Xvnc: client 1 rejected from IP 207.205.74.253 port 4405
    Xlib: connection to "ns2.abi.tconline.net:1.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
    xrdb: Can't open display 'ns2.abi.tconline.net:1'
    AUDIT: Tue Aug 22 09:54:46 2000: 24041 Xvnc: client 1 rejected from IP 207.205.74.253 port 4406
    Xlib: connection to "ns2.abi.tconline.net:1.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
    xsetroot: unable to open display 'ns2.abi.tconline.net:1'
    AUDIT: Tue Aug 22 09:54:46 2000: 24041 Xvnc: client 1 rejected from IP 207.205.74.253 port 4407
    Xlib: connection to "ns2.abi.tconline.net:1.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
    Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
    The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
    in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
    program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
    So on and so on and so on......

    I looked through the archives for references and found that these two lines, or
    the lack of one or both of them, might be the problem.

    system("xauth -f $xauthorityFile add $host:$displayNumber . $cookie");
    system("xauth -f $xauthorityFile add $host/unix:$displayNumber . $cookie");

    Well, they are both there and have been all along.

    Here are some file permissions.
    -rw------- 1 root root 603 Aug 22 09:54 .Xauthority
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 52 Oct 7 1999 .Xclients-default
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 188 Oct 7 1999 .Xclients.rpmsave
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1126 Aug 23 1995 .Xdefaults
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 root root 12840 Jul 18 11:27 /usr/local/sbin/vncserver
    I must admit to trying to chmod 555 to vncserver if that would have any affect
    and it didn't.

    Now I killed the root's vncserver.
    So, I set up a user and su to it.
    run vncserver and set the password.
    On the new user I can now do everything as expected.

    Changed perms for .Xauthority to:
    -rw-r----- 1 root root 603 Aug 22 09:54 .Xauthority
    and
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 603 Aug 22 09:54 .Xauthority
    with no luck. This has to be some permission deal I think but can't seem to
    grab hold of the right file. All the permissions for all the .X files for the
    user that works and root are identical.

    I am sure that this is something obvious but I just don't seem to be able to
    find it. Heeeelllllllllpppppp.

    Anything that anyone could think of would be great. It has become unthinkable
    to work without vnc.

     --
    Lewis Bergman
    Texas Communications