Slow connection tunneling through SSH from Linux->WinNT

From: Matt Barclay ()
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 18:01:29 EDT

    Hello,

    I set up SSHD as a service on my windows NT Server. I connect to this
    server from a Redhat 6.2 machine over the University 100Mb LAN. When I
    tunnel the VNC session through SSH to the NT Server, it is dreadfully
    slow. Without SSH, it is at least 20 times faster. I've tried using
    compression in the SSH connection to the WinNT SSHD, but there is no
    noticeable effect. CPU usage on both machines is minimal during all VNC
    sessions. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there something
    funny I need to do to the Windows SSHD? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance!

    -Matt

    Transcript of VNC session on Redhat Linux:

    bash# ssh -l mbarclay -L 5901:myNTserver.edu:5900 -C myNTserver.edu
    bash# vncviewer 127.0.0.1:1
    VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
    Password:
    VNC authentication succeeded Desktop name "polya" Connected to VNC server,
    using protocol version 3.3 VNC server default format:
      16 bits per pixel.
      Least significant byte first in each pixel.
      True colour: max red 31 green 63 blue 31, shift red 11 green 5 blue 0
    Using default colormap which is TrueColor. Pixel format:
      32 bits per pixel.
      Least significant byte first in each pixel.
      True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
    Using shared memory PutImage
    Same machine: preferring raw encoding