RE: Firewall setup

From: Andy Mason ()
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 14:50:17 EDT

    A few options:

    Easiest, but least secure: have port 5900-59xx (as many as you need) open
    on your firewall, and rely on VNC authentication for security.

    Better idea: Install SSH on a Linux server inside the firewall and pass SSH
    traffic through. Use SSH's port forwarding options to forward your
    connection to the SSH host of your choice. This is described on VNC site:

    I'm doing this and it works great. I'm actually going from Win98 at home to
    control by NT box at work, from there I can get to any server. Unless a
    piece of hardware dies, I can do anything I need to remotely. If you do it
    in the right combination (Linux, SSH 1.2.27 or OpenSSH, TeraTerm, and VNC)
    it's all free to boot. You may have to watch the SSH licensing for now,
    since most SSH distributions come with RSA, and you have to disable it (or
    replace with a weaker version). The patent expires in the US around Sept.
    20th, and you can then use RSA authenticaion to log in, which is nice.

    Andy.